The school council and school-based decision-making impact education at the site. However, issues that arise at school council meetings may be regional, provincial or affected by Division decision. According to the Education Act, “a school council may advise the school board respecting any matter relating to the school." While a trustee might attend a school council meeting and the principal can bring Division news to the school, school councils can seem isolated. Forming a Division school council with representatives from each of the school councils, the school board and the Superintendent of Lethbridge School Division will improve communication and promote cooperative action among our school councils.
Functions of the Division School Council
- Share information among school councils
- Consult with other school councils on wider education issues
- Communicate information both ways between the Division/school board and the school councils
- Provide input to the school board and central office on broader education issues, including the Division budget
- Inform the community about education concerns
- Promote school council in-service and training
- Assist in providing parent representatives for standing and ad hoc school board committees
Structure of Division School Council
Membership shall include:
- 2 representatives from each school council; however, each school has one vote should any decision be decided by Division School Council
- 1 ATA Representative
- 1 Principal Representative
- the Superintendent (who is a non-voting member); and
- 1 Board of Trustee Representative (who is non-voting member)
Because the Division School Council is not intended to detract from the legislated powers of the School Council, any formal actions of the Division School Council require consensus of all School Councils attending the meeting.
A Division School Council executive consisting of a chairperson, vice-chair, and secretary will be elected annually.
There will be a minimum of 5 meetings, normally occurring on the first Monday evening of the month held at the board office. These meetings are open to the public.
Agenda items should be forwarded to either the chairperson or the superintendent’s executive assistant. The agenda will be drawn up jointly by the chairperson and the Superintendent.