Board Budget Beliefs
BOARD OF TRUSTEES BELIEF STATEMENTS FOR PREPARATION OF THE 2019-20 BUDGET
Lethbridge School Division is primarily funded by Alberta Education. The Board is legally obligated to create and approve the annual district budget and to fiscally manage the Division's funds in a responsible manner, ensuring that the educational needs of students are met within a balanced budget, as required by the School Act.
- The Board believes in a budget process that is open and transparent.
- The Board believes that the budget shall provide for staffing to facilitate educational opportunities for all our students.
- The Board believes that education at the primary level is foundational to student success, and as such is a priority.
- The Board believes that funds need to be allocated to enable each school to remain viable and to be able to promote equitable access to educational opportunities and resources for students.
- The Board believes in keeping Division and school levied fees as low as possible.
- The Board believes maintaining an uncommitted reserve is necessary for emergent and contingent situations.
- The Board believes that equitable opportunities for student learning are achieved by allocating funds to specific centralized programs and services.
- The Board believes in providing targeted opportunities to further innovative practices in schools.