The Government of Alberta has developed steps and benchmarks to easing restrictions for businesses and individuals while protecting the health-care system.
Each step has an associated benchmark of hospitalized COVID-19 patients, including intensive care patients. Changes to restrictions will be considered once a benchmark is reached.
The hospitalization benchmarks are:
- Step 1 – 600 and declining
- Step 2 – 450 and declining
- Step 3 – 300 and declining
- Step 4 – 150 and declining
With hospitalizations dipping below 600, Alberta will move to Step 1 on Feb. 8.
For schools, the following changes will come into place on Feb. 8:
- Children’s sport and performance activities are permitted if related to school activities, such as physical education classes.
- K-12 schools and post-secondary institutions are allowed to use off-site facilities to support curriculum-related educational activities.
Group or team sports not permitted
- No sports games, competitions, team practice, league play or group exercise of any kind is allowed.
More information on the changes can be found here: HEALTH MEASURES