Lethbridge School Division is accepting applications for a Caretaking position. The Caretaker is responsible for completing cleaning duties and responsibilities to a high standard within the school. The Caretaker is responsible to the Head Caretaker or designate. The Caretaker must be able to communicate and interact positively with students, co-workers, and school administration to ensure all needs are addressed at the school site. A Caretaker can make minor adjustments to the building, equipment and furniture. They will work the evening shift during the school term, however day shift is required periodically (rotation shift/non instructional days). Caretakers must be able to work unsupervised for long periods of time. Caretaker work demands good health in order to fulfill the physical demands, e.g., lifting chairs, filing cabinets, furniture, boxes of materials, cleaning equipment and climbing stairs/ladders. The daily work routine involves the use of various chemicals.
The school is used by the community after school and into the evening, requiring all staff to be aware of the demand and needs of all the user groups. Candidates must be team players within both the caretaking and whole school staff and be able to relate to students.
Typical duties of a Caretaker include but are not limited to:
- Cleaning thoroughly all washrooms, fixtures, partitions, and shower areas
- Washing of all desks, counters, doors, windows, etc.
- All dusting in the school
- Mopping, vacuuming, and waxing of floors
- Securing of Division buildings
- Preventative maintenance, lock downs, fire drills, and changing lights
- Snow and ice removal from walkways
Please note that to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 and to keep our staff, students and families safe, employees will be required to wear a mask in hallways and when working with groups outside of their assigned cohorts.
- Mike Mountain Horse School - 1 Position - Hours: 5 hours per day/25 hours per week - tentative start date of August 23, 2021
- *Note: you may be reassigned to other locations based on Division needs.
**In order to meet school needs, staff will be required to rotate between evening and day shifts. In addition, Rotation Shifts with the Head Caretaker and caretaking staff must occur during the school year between September and June. Division requirements for rotation shifts are as follows:
- Secondary Schools: Six (6) weeks equaling 240 hours per year
- Elementary Schools: Four (4) weeks equaling 160 hours per year
- A High School Diploma or equivalent
Additional Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
- Demonstrated initiative and good judgement
- Ability to build positive relations with staff and students that values a team environment
- Capable of working with minimum supervision
- Organize work and make adjustments to daily routine, as conditions require
- Capable of performing routine and repetitive tasks on a daily basis
- Ability to promote and maintain effective working relations with the public, co-workers, school staff, and Division officials
- Display a good working knowledge of all chemicals/procedures used by caretaking staff
Fitness and Abilities
- Able to stand or walk for extended periods
- Able to lift and carry up to 22 kg independently and 22-31.5 kg with assistance
- Able to work in a highly active physical environment
- Able to work with a variety of chemicals
- Must be physically capable of performing heavy manual labour for extended periods of time under various weather conditions
- Valid ABSA 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate or equivalent
For the full Caretaker job description, please click HERE.
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School Division who are offered employment must provide:
- A satisfactory police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment.
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services.
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s licence, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire.
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name.
Enjoy access to benefits for you and your family!
Make a difference in a child's life!
Rate per hour: $23.02
Posting will remain open until 10:00 AM, June 23, 2021.
Apply for this job
External applications will not be considered until the internal applications of employees have been reviewed.