Lethbridge School Division, Maintenance Department is accepting applications for a full-time Journeyman Electrician. Under general supervision, the Division Electrician will perform skilled electrical maintenance work in the instillation, repair, alteration and maintenance of school Division buildings, facilities and perform related work as required. This includes providing trade recommendations to maximize the lifecycle of Division electrical and controls. Project assignments require working as a team with assigned contractors to supplement the Division’s personnel. The nature of the work requires considerable independence of judgment within prescribed policies. The work may require strenuous physical effort in completion of duties alongside of Division personnel and assigned contractors.
The duties would include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for reporting hazards, safety concerns or issues
- Assist other Operations and Maintenance personnel as required
- Repair, install, service and maintain electrical systems, including but not limited to interior and exterior conduit, lighting and power circuits, motors, control equipment, bell, clock and alarm systems, power equipment and tools, heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment and systems
- Repair or replace defective parts such as controls, thermostats, automatic switches, damper motors, relays, filters, belts and safety valves
- Install and repair control and distribution apparatus, including motors, relays, switches, thermostats, circuit-breaker panels, etc
- Maintain and repair all elements of HVAC units, including but not limited to electrical, chemical and mechanical components
- Diagnose and resolve problems in electrical circuits, systems, and equipment using testing instruments and equipment
- Inspect electrical equipment and installations for conformity with safety standards
- Program automated controls systems. Diagnose electrical failure for Division equipment and systems, and plan repairs
- Read and interpret drawings and specifications, determines materials, reports on work progress and proposes changes in plans and specifications as required
- Red Seal Journeyman Electrician Certificate
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Hold and maintain a valid Class 5 Alberta drivers license
- Satisfactory Drivers Abstract
- Thorough knowledge of the applicable rules and regulations of safe driving
Fitness and Abilities
- Sufficient sight and hearing to perform related job duties
- Able to stand or walk for extended periods
- Able to lift and carry up to 22 kg independently and 22-31.5 kg with assistance
- Able to climb and work from 5 metre ladders
- Able to work in a highly active physical environment
- Able to work with a variety of chemicals
- Must be physically capable of performing heavy manual labour for extended periods of time under various weather conditions
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- The successful candidate must be a team player, safety focused and a responsible individual who takes pride in their work
- Proven public relations skills and demonstrated ability in promoting and maintaining effective working relations with public, students, co-workers, school staff, administration, and district officials
- Demonstrated ability of being a district representative
- Candidates must be team players with Maintenance, Caretakers and school staff
- Excellent communication skills both in written and oral formats
- Demonstrated ability to keep records and fill out required district forms and paper work. Computer literacy could be an asset in this area
- Master Electrician designation
- ABSA 5th Class Power Engineer or equivalent
- Controls systems training or certification (fire alarm, security, HVAC, other electrical control systems)
- Ability to operate a vehicle with trailer
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Valid WHIMIS Certificate
- Mobile Aerial Work Platform Training
- Confined Space Entry and Rescue Training
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Training
- Skid Steer Operator Training
- Fall Protection Training
For the full Journeyman Electrician job description, please click HERE.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School Division who are offered employment must provide:
- A satisfactory police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment.
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services.
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s licence, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire.
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name.
Enjoy access to benefits for you and your family!
Make a difference in a child's life!
Hourly rate: $34.58
Posting will remain open until 10:00 AM, August 17, 2020
External applications will not be considered until the internal applications of employees have been reviewed.