Educational Assistant Substitute
Location: Education Centre
Competition #: 12945
Open To: Everyone
Date Posted: February 10th, 2021
Closing Date: May 14th, 2021 - 10:00am
Educational Assistant - Substitute
The Lethbridge School Division has openings for Educational Assistant immediately. We are hiring primarily for our Educational Assistant Substitute list; however, specific positions may be available.
Lethbridge School Division embraces diversity and functions in a dynamic, innovative, and fast paced environment. To help support student success, we are looking for flexible, empathetic, optimistic, and patient individuals to work as part of a dynamic team. The Educational Assistant works with students requiring targeted and specialized supports and services in order to effectively participate in their learning community. Tasks performed are varied and dependent on student needs. Responsibilities include assisting with and adapting academic tasks, implementation of strategies intended to support socially appropriate behaviours, attending to physical needs as well as medical needs specific to individual students, and monitoring progress.
Educational Assistants work under the direction of teachers, primarily with identified students. Successful applicants will be adept at quickly developing trust and rapport with students and staff. Educational Assistants work collaboratively within the school community to share information, reflect on effectiveness of strategies, suggest modifications to existing or novel strategies in order to maximize student success.
Educational Assistants are an integral part of a dynamic and collaborative team who work with students with behavioural issues and/or complex physical disabilities/developmental delays and will be expected to assume other duties, as required.
Please note that to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 substitutes will be required to wear a face mask at all times and follow Division protocols.
What will you do?
Applicants will work as a team to support a variety of students with a variety of needs, including behavioural challenges and/or complex physical disabilities, developmental delays and/or severe medical needs. Duties will include ensuring all students’ safety at all times, implementing individualized programs and carrying out Positive Behaviour Support Plans as developed by the student’s Learning Team. Lethbridge School Division makes every effort to ensure staff and student safety; however, not every unsafe behaviour on the part of students can be anticipated. Behaviours that the plans target may include, but are not limited to, severe opposition, hitting, kicking, spitting, biting, scratching, and throwing of objects and the use of inappropriate and/or threatening language. Supporting Individuals with Valued Attachments (SIVA) training is an asset.
What do you need to succeed?
Training and/or experience working with students with severe behaviour difficulties is necessary as well as an understanding of ASD, ODD, FASD, ADHD and/or other behavioural disabilities. Preference will be given to candidates with proven experience executing Positive Behavior Support Plans. Training and/or experience with OT/PT would be an asset. The successful candidate must be willing to provide personal care, lifting and toileting support for students and participating in community activities (such as swimming and skating). Educational Assistants may also be working with students who have recently migrated from other countries and these students may have significant achievement gaps, language barriers and/or social-emotional concerns. A strong understanding of Trauma Informed practice, resiliency, building connections, self-regulation supports and strategies, and conflict resolution skills is an asset. In addition, willingness to participate in ongoing professional learning is expected.
The successful candidate will be able to create rapport with all students and staff and adapt to dynamic learning environments. Being self-directed, flexible and finding creative ways to connect with and regulate children are considered to be an important skills of successful candidates. Additionally, the successful candidate must have exceptional communication skills and show initiative in solving problems and creating opportunities for student success.
Applicants will possess, or develop, a true working knowledge within early literacy and the speech and language acquisition process and have experience in supporting programs for children/students in their early years of development. Training and/or experience in sign language, Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) and/or Hanen (Learning Language and Loving It/ABC & Beyond) are assets.
Education and Experience Required:
- Proof of Grade 12 or General Educational Development (GED). If you have obtained your education outside of Canada, the Division will require a copy of your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) or International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) confirming high school or post secondary equivalencies.
- To reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 substitutes will be required to wear a face mask at all times and follow Division protocols.
- Post-secondary certificate or diploma in a related field such as Educational Assistant, Early Childhood Education and Child & Youth Care.
- Combination of education and experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School
Division who are offered employment must provide:
- A police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment that does not have any charges or convictions.
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services.
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s license, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire.
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name. If valid Social Insurance documentation in the current legal name can not be provided, the successful candidate will be required to obtain a new one within three days of hire.
Educational Assistant Substitute's earn $19.29 per hour
Enjoy having evenings, weekends & school holidays off!
Make a difference in a child's life!
Posting will remain open until 10:00 AM, May 14, 2021
Apply for this job
External applications will not be considered until the internal applications of employees have been reviewed.