Looking for more than just a job? Want to receive more than just a paycheck? How about the unconditional thanks in making a difference in children’s lives.
Lethbridge School Division is seeking Casual Caretakers. The role of a Casual Caretaker is to fill in for relief work. Casual Caretakers are under the general supervision of the Head Caretaker or designate and will work the evening shift during the school term, however day shift may be required. The Caretaker is responsible for completing all cleaning duties within the school while following Division policies and procedures. Caretakers must be able to work unsupervised for long periods of time. Caretaker work demands good health in order to fulfill the physical demands, e.g., lifting chairs, filing cabinets, furniture, boxes of materials, cleaning equipment and climbing stairs/ladders. The daily work routine involves the use of various chemicals.
The school is used by the Community after school and into the evening, requiring all staff to be aware of the demand and needs of all the user groups. Candidates must be team players within both the caretaking and whole school staff and be able to relate to students.
Typical duties of a Caretaker include but are not limited to:
- Cleaning thoroughly all washrooms, fixtures, partitions, and shower areas
- Washing of all desks, counters, doors, windows, etc.
- All dusting in the school
- Mopping, vacuuming, and waxing of floors
- Securing of District buildings
- Preventative maintenance, lock downs, fire drills, and changing lights
- Snow and ice removal from walkways
The successful applicants must be self-motivated, able to work with minimal supervision, and be organized. The applicants must possess good communication skills and the ability to deal courteously and tactfully with students and the public. Experience as a caretaker will be an asset.
A High School Diploma or equivalent
- A valid 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate or equivalent
Fitness and Abilities
- Sufficient sight and hearing to perform related job duties
- Able to stand or walk for extended periods
- Able to lift and carry up to 22 kg independently and 22-31.5 kg with assistance
- Able to work in a highly active physical environment
- Able to work with a variety of chemicals
- Must be physically capable of performing heavy manual labour for extended periods of time under various weather conditions
Conditions of Employment
In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given preference.
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School Division WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must provide:
- A satisfactory police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s licence, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name
Enjoy access to benefits for you and your family!
Make a difference in a child's life!
Posting will remain open until 10:00 AM, August 19, 2020.
External applications will not be considered until the internal applications of employees have been reviewed.