Lethbridge School Division is accepting applications for 3 full-time Head Caretaker positions. A Head Caretaker is responsible for all aspects of the Caretaking Operation at the school site, which includes completing all duties of a Caretaking relating to maintaining the cleanliness of the school. As the designated leader the Head Caretaker must be able to communicate and interact positively with students, co-workers, and school administration to ensure all needs are addressed at the school site. Besides the list of duties and responsibilities it is expected the Head Caretaker demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of cleaning and preventative maintenance functions. The Head Caretaker must be able to complete all working functions to a high degree of satisfaction.The work may require strenuous physical effort in completion of duties alongside of Caretakers. Under the supervision of the Principal the Head Caretaker will work primarily on the day shift, however there are circumstances where you are expected to work the evening shift. It is understood that the Head Caretaker is to take an active role in the cleaning of the facility on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. Lethbridge School Division, embraces diversity and functions in a dynamic, innovative and fast paced environment.
Site Specific Expectations
Hours: 8 hours per day/40 hours per week
Mike Mountain Horse School - 1 Position
Senator Joyce Fairbairn School - 1 Position
G.S. Lakie School - 1 Position
A Rotation Shift with the Caretaker(s) must occur periodically during the school year between September and June.
These positions are expected to commence mid August 2020.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Effective and proven supervisory and leadership skills
Additional Qualifications, Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- A proven and demonstrable record of leadership and supervisory ability in a facility management setting
- Proven public relations skills and demonstrated ability in promoting and maintaining effective working relations with public, students, co-workers, school staff, administration, and division officials
- Excellent communication skills both in written and oral formats
- Demonstrated ability to keep records and fill out required division forms and paper work. Computer literacy could be an asset in this area
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to make adjustments to daily routine, as conditions require for both day and evening shifts
Fitness and Abilities
- Sufficient sight and hearing to perform related job duties
- Able to stand or walk for extended periods
- Able to lift and carry up to 22 kg independently and 22-31.5 kg with assistance
- Able to work in a highly active physical environment
- Able to work with a variety of chemicals
- Must be physically capable of performing heavy manual labour for extended periods of time under various weather conditions
- Valid ABSA 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate or equivalent
- Experience in a school setting as a Head Caretaker or Assistant Head Caretaker
- Experience in plant maintenance operation, in cleaning methods and procedures, heating and ventilation operation, building security, and minor repairs
For the full Head Caretaker job description, please click HERE.
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School Division who are offered employment must provide:
- A satisfactory police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s licence, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name
Enjoy access to benefits for you and your family!
Make a difference in a child's life!
Posting will remain open until 10:00 AM, July 20, 2020.
External applications will not be considered until the internal applications of employees have been reviewed.