Lethbridge School District No. 51 works with Canada Homestay Network (CHN) to place students with excellent host families in the City of Lethbridge. The process for admitting host families into the homestay program is a rigorous one.
- have had a thorough interview to determine suitability
- have had a homestay inspection
- have had references checked
- passed a police record check
- are enthusiastic to receive international students
Once the student is placed in the home, supervision and support are provided by CHN's Relationship Managers throughout the program.
International students and their parents have access to the Relationship Managers 24 hours a day in the event of a problem or emergency.
For students requesting homestay placement and for information on custodianship, visit CHN's website here.
Minor children who come to Canada to study and who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian.
- Legal arrangements must be made to give the custodian in Canada permission to act in place of a parent. Two notarized documents are required. A notarized document is a document that has been certified by a notary.
- The first notarized document must be signed by the custodian in Canada. The second notarized document must be signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child in the child’s country of origin.
- The visa officer must be satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for the care and support for minor children who travel to Canada to study.
For students who choose to have a homestay arranged through Lethbridge School District, your custodian will be determined by Canada Homestay Network. Your homestay placement fee will cover the cost of notarizing the document signed by Canada Homestay Network, but you will have to arrange for notarization of the document signed by your parents. Copies of the Custodianship Forms can be obtained from the Government of Canada website: Custodianship Forms
More Information: Studying in Canada - Minor Children
Consider hosting a student!
Lethbridge School District No. 51 and Canada Homestay Network are always looking for qualified host families